Redbridge Teachers NetworkRedbridge Teachers Network
The Redbridge Teacher Network is an AMSP funded project, allowing teachers of maths to meet, collaborate and to share best practice. We meet termly and the programme usually includes sharing best practice and another item.
As always, we will start the Redbridge teacher network by sharing a resource that you’ve used in the classroom. Please bring ~10 paper copies to share and email James a copy of the resource. Please don’t spend long selecting a resource, but you may want to consider:
- Did it help with a misconception/preconception?
- What did you students think about it?
- Did the students react differently to it than you anticipated?
- Did it support students to develop any skills?
Everyone will have access to the electronic resources after the network meeting; come with one idea and leave with many!
We will also be joined by Oaklands School who will share a four-lesson unit of work they have developed to get students to use a real data set from one of Europe’s largest academic research projects, along with a powerful visual story. This has helped their pupils critically engage with the realities of migration - through maths. The unit provides KS3/4 students with an opportunity to:
- Apply statistics to authentic data and develop a stronger conceptual understanding
- Explore a big data set, hugely beneficial in preparing students for A Level mathematics
- Think critically about migration
- Make links across the curriculum - with links to art, English, drama, and ICT
- Use data to support an argument and experiment with novel ways to present data
As always please encourage colleagues in your school and others to join. Please also complete the booking link so that I can bring enough refreshments and ease signing in at the school.
4pm Arrival, refreshments & networking with other teachers
4:30 Sharing Resources
5:15 Maths & Migration (Oaklands School)
6:00 Evaluations & End
11-16 maths, A level Mathematics, A level Further Mathematics, Core Maths
Mechanics, Statistics, Pure, Discrete, Problem solving, Curriculum planning, Reasoning
Valentines High School,
Tue 3rd Mar 2020
16:00 - 18:00
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
07887 508 386
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard